Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL)
This category of licence allows you to act as pilot or Co-Pilot in command of some commercial operations.
To gain a commercial pilot licence you must be at least 18 years old at the time of the flight test, have passed 7 CPL
helicopter theory exams as set by CASA, meet all that is required for a PPLH and have completed at least a total of:
• 40 hours dual flying
• 35 hours solo flying
• Included in these hours must be at least
• 15 hours of dual navigation flying
• Minimum 10 hours of solo navigation flying
• 35 hours of general flight time as pilot in command (including solo navigation)
• Pass an Aviation English Language test (conducted by Nik who is authorised by CASA for English Language)
• Conduct and pass a CPL flight test
Note: Where the last 30 hours of the course have been conducted in the last 90 days, the minimum requirement is a total of 105 hours flying. Otherwise, a minimum total of 150 hours is required.
These progressive levels of licence reflect a typical training syllabus. Note that a PPL is not a vocation, just an optional step leading to the CPL. If you choose from the start of your training that you require a commercial pilots licence then you can go directly towards the CPL without passing RPL and PPL flight test and theory exam.
Medical Requirements
You need to pass a medical examination before you are issued with a pilots licence and before even considering flying as a career in order to make sure that you can meet these medical requirements. Doctors approved by CASA, known as designated aviation medical examiners, or DAMEs, do these examinations. We can help you find a DAME in
your local area. Also a list of all DAMEs can be found on CASA’s website

Before you take your medical, we will arrange for CASA to issue you an aviation reference number (ARN), a unique identifier that will stay with you for the rest of your flying career. The Doctor needs this number for your fitness report to CASA.
For student and private licences, a simple physical examination (class 1) is all that is needed.

For a commercial licence, the examination (class 2) includes an ECG, an audiogram, a blood lipids test and a specialist eye examination in addition to the general physical, depending on your age.
Medical examinations become more exacting as you grow older. If you have any concerns as to whether you would satisfy CASA’s medical requirements, you can discuss your condition with a DAME or call CASA’s national telephone number 131 757 and ask for the aviation medicine section in Canberra.

Once you have your RPL, PPL or CPL licence and depending on what type of helicopter you trained in and want to add to your qualifications we can assist with additional endorsements: Aircraft type Cabri G2, R22,R44, Bell 206, Bell 47,
H269, Bell 407, Bell 204/205, Enstrom 280FX, AS350, H500, EC120, EC130 and twin Bell 222; Night flying; Sling operations; Mountain Flying; Fire Fighting and Mustering.
Tag-along Trips
You can join the many pilots and past students and friends that rent helicopters from us or own their own and fly to resorts and stations in the rural areas of Australia. We organise trips with 4-8 helicopters and fly together to unique locations.
Job Prospects
There is variety of jobs that are available to a commercial helicopter pilot: Fire fighting; General charter (photography, film, survey); Emergency Medical Services (EMS); Instructing; Tour operator; Agricultural Spraying, Corporate.